Friday, November 14, 2014

Social media + free agency

Last night as I was laying in bed, I was going through my mental check list like I do every night before falling asleep.  Somewhere in between thinking about our RA responsibilities and Lotte's teething troubles, I remembered some things some people posted on Facebook that showed up on my news feed and immediately anger and frustration entered my heart.

I'm fed up.

I'm fed up with the controversy progressivists are trying to create, with the inappropriate music and images that for some reason can never entirely be avoided.  I'm fed up with hipsters - the whole concept is so dumb, everyone is trying to be so different that they end up being exactly alike.  I'm fed up with women making other women look like idiots.

But mostly, I'm fed up with how exhausting it is trying to shield my little family from Satan's advocates.  There are way too many and I am honestly shocked by that.  Even from those I considered my friend are making it very difficult for me to want to be their friend still.

I'm trying so so hard to find that thin line of loving the sinner, but hating the sin.

I wish there was a magic button that would reset everyone's clouded minds back to "factory setting".  But I can't.  Because there is this wonderful thing called free agency.  The world would be a boring place if everyone shared the same opinion and it would counter act God's plan.  I know it's there for our own good.  I just wish other people's choices wouldn't effect my family so much.  I can only shield my little girl so much before eventually she will also see the badness in this world.

And even though there is more goodness, somehow the badness makes itself more apparent.  Or maybe it's me and I need to try looking for the good more.  I don't know.  All I can say is I am a frustrated wife and mother who wants so badly to keep her family unstained from the evil this world has to offer.

And then I am reminded that my family can be a force for good.


We can choose to let the light of Christ shine on our countenances, or we can choose to follow the road most taken.  "...but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord" (Joshua 24:15).



No comments: