Sunday, December 15, 2013

Standing up

I was not planning on blogging today, but something sparked within me when I was on Facebook, and when I witnessed it in my own ward today.  Today, December 15th, is "Wear pants to Church Day."  Who knew?  I certainly didn't.  Nor did I realize it was apparently a big deal on this day last year as well.

I had heard of some movement a while back, but had paid no mind to it.  Why should I?  It was none of my business.  I know what I believe in and didn't need to worry about what others chose to do.  Today, my views have changed.  I am about to be a mother.  A mother to a little girl who is going, to not only look up to me, but to the thousands of other women whom she will associate with throughout her life.  And a fierce protectiveness and a desire to teach and raise her up in righteousness was distilled within me.

Right now, my heart is filled with anger, and I hate that.  I hate that I will not be able to entirely shield my children from the negative influences of this world.

Everyone has agency.  I have no right to infringe upon that, which brings me to the ultimate reason for this post - to calm my troubled soul.

I wear dresses/skirts to church not because I have to (which I don't), but because of the deep desire I have to please the Lord.  To show Him and those around me respect and honor.  Would I wear pants or other casual clothing to the temple - the house of God?  Absolutely not!  So why should it be different at church?  Are we not still worshiping inside those walls as well?

Some may say it is to help others feel more comfortable...nonmembers, investigators, and so forth.  I thought we as Latter-day Saints were to strive to live in the world, but not of it?  To live our lives in such a way that makes us stand apart from the world, not get lost in the mingling with it.  There are countless scriptures and quotes encouraging us to live the higher law because we "are a chosen generation...a peculiar people" (1 Peter 2:9).

That is what I hope to instill in my daughter someday.  That she is a daughter of God - unique, chosen, peculiar - and as Joseph Smith so eloquently stated, "...if you live up to your privileges, the angels cannot be restrain'd from being your associates - females, if they are pure and innocent can come into the presence of God."

I hope I don't create any harsh feelings, which I guess I probably will because I myself am feeling harsh.  I don't know who will read this long monologue, but I want my daughter to know that I wasn't afraid to stand for what I believe in, and that she shouldn't be afraid either.


No comments: