Tuesday, May 20, 2014

4.1 weeks later

Lottie is 4 weeks and 1 day old today.  This last month has literally flown by!  And what an adjustment it has been!  I am trying to sneak a quick post in while she is sleeping.  I have to be sneaky about everything now when she is sleeping.  You know those notes on people's doors saying to not ring the doorbell?  Well, that is me now.  PLEASE DON'T WAKE MY SLEEPING CHILD - FOR EVERYONE'S PEACE OF MIND!

For her update.

Lottie has been a very healthy, and for the most part, content baby. She was never jaundiced and passed all of her screenings with flying colors.  However, one area we have been struggling in is her weight gain.  As of her 3 week check up last week, she still had not reached her birth weight (babies always lose weight the first week, but should have it gained back by the second).  Not Lottie.  My milk came in late and we struggled with breastfeeding for some time.  Who would have thought something so natural could be so difficult?  Well to help chunk her up a bit, the pediatrician recommended supplementing with formula for some extra calories.  So after nursing sessions I top her off with a bottle.  I really wish I didn't have to, but am willing to try anything to fatten her up.  I think it's working....yeah?

 {Weeks 1, 2, 3 and 4}

{Her first Sunday out}





 {I'm in love with these two people in my life}


For my update.

My recovery is going slower than I'd like.  With my strained pubic symphesis, walking proved very difficult the first couple weeks.  I couldn't use any muscles without feeling like bones were going to snap and as a result, Luke had to do everything for me.  And I mean everything, including dressing me each day, helping me in and out of bed/chairs, putting on my shoes for me, etc.  He is superman.

At my 2 week post-partum check the doctor had me feel my abs while doing a slight crunch.  Yikes!  I was flabbergasted!  I had/have an abdomenis recti gap, meaning my abs split while I was pregnant and now I have about a 2 inch gap in the middle of my "six pack".  It was a very gross feeling.  So to fix that, I literally have to hold my abs together while doing crunches.  They have to be back together before I can start fully working out again.

Today I can do most things on my own.  I can even take Lottie for short walks each day.  I'm hoping at my 6 week post-partum check that I will be good to go and will be able to start working out again.  My body does not quite feel like my own yet, and I suspect it will still be a while.

Life with a child has been very challenging and so rewarding.  My favorite thing is when I am holding her while she is sleeping and she smiles or laughs.  It's a beautiful thing.


No comments: